Budapest - Isztambul - magyarul

Monday, August 1, 2011

The Scope of a Broken Spoke

I'm writing now in my tent in a camp in Tiszafüred. I just started but I decided to have a whole rest day here. This is one nice property of not making strict plans day by day - so I make use of it.


The last few weeks passed by so quickly I couldn't even follow. Every day I had a to-do list with countless entries (most of them had been completed). Lately I slept 4-5 hours - compared to my usual 7-8 hours. Now it is time to relax.

Egerbakta

On day zero I was riding from my parents house, from Recsk to Eger, about 30 kms. Nice, easy, calm ride it was. Rolling down to Eger I heard a "Poiung" voice from the back of the bike I never heard before: a broken spoke. Mission Critical Issue - Saturday evening in Eger, my 40+ kgs vehicle had an injury what if can't be fixed, I won't start on Sunday. Adventure began.

My old class mates had a meeting in a pub, where me, too, was invited. So I just visited them - soon I left them, but with a phone number of the Bicycle Repair Man, Mészi. I also called the leader of the bike club I was a member of 20 years ago. They both helped me fix the broken spoke. 10 pm and wow, the bike is ready to go! The way this issue happened and had been solved totally amazed me. Again, thank you, guys!

40,5 kgs

Just a note here. The broken spoke is something what can only be repaired on the way by me if I carry huge extra weight. As I was looking after how others solve this problem, I found that almost nobody carries these heavy tools on a long ride. So in a case like this the task is to manage to reach the next garage safe and sound and find the closest Bicycle Repair Man.

Sunday, lovely day! A couple of old friends and class mates and family members came to meet, a small group of bikers ride with me in the city, a smaller group followed me till Mezőkövesd, and the last bikers who left me alone were girls! Let's face the truth, guys: it's girl-power what makes a difference!

Serious, old cyclist friends


So my first day was a nice and easy one (with a puncture, the first one on the first day, but - so what?), with good company, with many, many good wishes, hugs, kisses and handshakes. Again, I have to say thank you for all who came and who gave me their best wishes! See you all later, some time, somewhere!

Camping in Tiszafüred

1 comment:

Gabriella Talmácsi-Békefi said...

Teska! You have just left us but we already MISS you! (Even Sebi said today: 'Mom, I'm sad because Gergő is far away...' Cute, isn't he?
Anyway, have a rest then push your pedals! Have a nice trip, my little bro! :)