Budapest - Isztambul - magyarul

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Checking the Gadgets - Only for geeks!

I`m thinking of how I`ll manage noting down my thoughts and editing and uploading photos when on the move. I have a laptop but it`s obviously too heavy to carry with me and it`s battery lasts only for one or two hours - I imagine there can be situations when I`ll have time and mood to write but have no access to any kind of power supply. So I`m in the process of finding a better solution.

Now I`m writing this on a 7" Galaxy Tab with a docking keyboard. This whole post is just because I want to test if it is possible to write longer texts on it (huhh, when I was in primary school, I remember a teacher who had us kids practiced pronouncing this word for at least 50 times: `texts` - try it if you want), to upload and maybe edit photos on it, and to put it on FB and on blogspot. Let`s do it!


Just to make this entry longer, I write why I have this setup here. A netbook weights as much as my laptop (1.2 kg), it boots for minutes and it can be kept only in my back panniers. This little Tab is only 0.4 kg, has a GPS built in, got place in my handlebar bag (so I can take it with me when off the bike), and the battery lasts 7-8 hours with wifi. Actually it is unbeliveable! It`s perfect for navigating, for finding free wifi places, to check mails and with this keyboard, it is comfortable to type some TEXTS (say it, loud!). However, as I type, the appearance of the characters are becoming more and more slowly as the document is getting larger. I have to say it responds on my typing as somebody who is sleeping and dreaming.

Ok, it is not something I have to give up testing the stuff. But for now, I finish writing. I try to copy/paste this doc into the blogger app, insert some pictures into it and create a picasa galery. Then I`ll make links to this post, pointing to a website where you can listen how to pronounce `texts` correctly. Ok, enough.
Ah, just one more note. When I finish an entry, I go back to the beginning and reading through and make some corrections if necessary. With this response speed this system has, hm, I have to be really patient to wait for the cursor. I didn`t fall in love this time.


Now I`m editing the text in the Blogger app. It is much, much smoother and faster than the Word in the ThinkFree Office app, which is nice. But this Blogger app had been designed for mobile phones to post some small <I`m fine, thanks.> like messages, it`s not for editing long posts. I`ve loaded some pictures but I can`t see where it will appear. There isn't any Preview possibility, so, hm, I`m just hitting the `Publish` button and I`ll check later in the browser what happened. Anyway, with this keyboard and whith the speed of this app, it`s fine. Again, it turns out that the hardware is cool and everything depends on the software and the support.

Some update (writing it on my laptop): I couldn't manage to put a "jump break" into the text (this produces the "Read more" sign on the main page). I couldn't change the place of the photos. I couldn't make any title of the photos. And also, in the process of getting the MicroSD card out of the camera, putting it into the Tab and inserting it into this blog entry, the quality of the picture had been reduced somewhere. I don't want to look after where it happened (probably in the Blogger app, as in the Picasa gallery they appear original). The whole point of the story is that if I would like to write more than I'mOK on the way, I have to carry at least a netbook with me because I find Android is not yet a well developed system for this kind of purpose. I'm sorry of it because I began to fall in love with the Galaxy Tab. So I have to accept the fact that if I'd like to write longer stuff and edit photos and maybe videos, I have to carry at least a netbook. I surely will as I decided to take notes (and till now, I quite enjoy it!).

No comments: