Budapest - Isztambul - magyarul

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Why Not Switch

Sometimes an insane thought or idea comes: do this or do that, try this or try that. In the next moment an avalanche of thoughts and excuses start: I can't do it, I'm not prepared, it's expensive, it hurts, it's dangerous, it's not for me, I'm tired, it's not so important, I can do it later, I can try it next time. Well, to help coming out of this close-mindedness, I found out I just have to push my Why Not Switch hard saying: "Really, why not? Let's do it!".


On the way to the pass - learning curve

I mantioned in my last post: huhh, I'd like to ride a motorbike - why not? Somehow on the turkish coast thoughts manifest really quickly. We were laughing with Michael in the camp in Anamur: "Hehehe, yes, the why-not-switch, hehehe!". And what happened? Next day I found myself preparing for a several-day-long motorbike trip, the first one in my life. Naci, the local man in the camp got me a little red scooter with a little red helmet - so I hooked on my little red bike-bag with all my warmest clothes in, and started to ride up to an 1690 m high pass in the mountains.

No trace of being ashamed

I could be 10 when I was riding a motorbike, in secret of course, about 20 km - so I can say I am a beginner. Also I don't have a driving licence, as I don't have any experience. Well, I've been rolling planty thousands of kms on two wheels, but the bicycle is a bit different. Of course my angel above took care of me again not puuting a 650 ccm BMW under my little butt, but a 110 ccm small scooter with 4 gears, with a half-automatic gear-shifter, in an overall good condition. Ok, well, I'm sitting on the floor, but who cares? I did 7-800 kms in four days comfortably and it took about 2 liter petrol for 100 km. I'm still in economy mode, but I have to admit I smoke infinately more like this comparing to the bicycle. Well, I didn't have nightmares because of this fact, I can forgive myself such a "huge" amount of petrol burned. Ah, and my guarding angel also supplied me with constant sunshine and good weather, with unmistakeable warnings (like carry a bottle of gasoline with you; practice emergency breaking; slow down hard before this turn; read about riding techniques at night in the motel), with almost now traffic roads, with mountain roads having one million curves as in a dream of all motorbike tourists, with a reliable motorbike, with cheap pansions, with manifesting all my wishes.

Riding fast

Of course I'm in love. I look on motors and motorcyclists with a totally different eye now. I can accept them lot more easier because now I know riding a motorbike is more, than fantastic! And I have to admit I can say this only after I tried this. And for trying this, I had to have my why-not switch pushed strongly. Now all I can say is yeeehaaa!

Riding with style

After these four days I rolled back to Anamur, to my favourite campsite. It was easy - Alanya didn't sip me in, I can pull the gas withouth thinking of leaving the place: it is touristic, it is more about money than hospitality, which is the opposite what I like.

Riding safe

So a tomorrow or the day after I'll take a bus to Antalya (as I saw this part from the motorbike - and I don't wish to any cyclist to take this road, it is not worth the effort) and look around there for a few days. After Antalya I'll again sit on my bicycle and ride further on the coast - and will wave my hands to all the motorcyclists passing me by.

No comments: