Budapest - Isztambul - magyarul

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Dog Eat Dog

Yesterday I had my horror day. Some monsters (not dogs, they can't fit into the dog category) attacked me but two dogs just saved my little ass. As I am writing this, the next day, I know I can't translate the hungarian post of this (I wrote that one still shocked using some hungarian phrases I just couldn't translate), so, forgive me, I just try to make a short summary of what happened.


Getting closer to Ala Mountains

After I left Planet Cappadocia, I spent one night in the paraying room of a petrol station having fun with some kurdish kids working there. Next day I was about to sneak into the closeness of the Ala Mountains from the east side of it. Later I found my camp, I stopped there so to go hiking next day. The owner of the camp advised me a nice and not so hard hiking route, which I could approach with the bike and later go on foot.

Let's go hiking!

So next day I was riding in my hiking shoes out of the village, when I saw two dogs on the road, one barking - not on me, but into the void. Ok, no problem, just stay cool, Gergő, just pass them by calmly. It was so, I stayed cool. I passed by the dogs with a little bit faster heart rate as usual - and they began to follow me. It turned out they don't want to eat me, instead it was the opposite: I began to talk to them, they came to me, I gave them some bread. It was a beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Friendship

They followed me - also out of the village. The road made many turns and ups and downs, they just came with me. It was a good feeling, I had some mates on my way.

Down there is the canyon

Later we arrived to a canyon - it was deep, narrow, and beautiful. On the left high above behind a bushy part I saw a cave, it's entry covered with pieces of wood. On the right there were the sheeps. Nice and calm place it was. And suddenly, two huge monsters jumped out of nowhere and attacked us, first the older, bigger friend of mine. He began to ran in the direction where we were heading to, the two huge (as big as two sheeps standing on each other) wild one (wearing nails around their neck - if I didn't see it, I surely won't beleive it) was running after him.

The last photo before the rush

Without thinking for any little fraction of the second, I turned around and began to push the pedals as if my life depended on the speed. My heart climbed the Demirkazik Peak (3756 m) three times a second. The rapidfire on my bike was just shooting, I was on 40 in the shortest time ever (dirt road, rocks, sand - so it was more mountain biking with my touring cycle).

The road, the friend

Only after 150-200 m I had the courage to look back - the setup was so: the rabbit (me) first, then the two friends, then the two enemies, everybody pushing it as hard as he could. Well, I had the advantage of the bike - and also the disadvantage: I was getting closer and closer to a steep hill, which surely slow me down as much as the attackers will reach us.

Near another flock of sheep (see the jurta)?

In the moment thinking of this, a magical thing happened: the old dog, the friendly one just stopped and turned around and began to shout on the monsters - the smaller one joined him. It was so that they knew I'll be slow upwards, so they began to cover me. It was amazing - all the genes and laws of ancient wolf-families suddenly began to work in a way I never thought it can happen. They saved me, we gained some time so I could climb up (with all the muscles and nerves dropped into the effort of the climb, of course).

Zoom in to see his tounge!

After one more km of rush, I stopped. Nobody was coming - the old fellow still looked back every ten seconds. I stopped, and I began to let my tears out. Of course it was also because of the shock, but I feel it was much more because I could be the eye-victim of how dogs can behave, how dogs can give their lives and their strength to human people. It cought me so deep I couldn't keep my tears back. I remember I was telling myself: "He turned around seeing the steep hill - he turned around and covered me!".

Happy that they saved me!

How can it be possible? I knew them for a few hours, they were coming with me as if they were knowing what will happen, or knowing that this biker stickman needs some backup - or I don't know. Maybe this is only my view and this whole story is a bullshit and I just got into the local dog-wars, but going and living through the above I really believe that these dogs were there to save me.

Writing in the camp, terrace

Well, that was the story - writing it down took almost as much energy as living it through - so that's it for now. Check the gallery for some more pictures as there are some, not only about the doggies.

1 comment:

Gabriella Talmácsi-Békefi said...

Of course they were! No question! They were sent to protect you! By whom? God knows...