Budapest - Isztambul - magyarul

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

How plans are shaping...

...and how my trip is building up from little fragments - I'm just wondering. I've received a tip to check out a web site where there is a detailed description of a ten day long organized trip in Turkey. As I was reading through the program I've found the name Mevlana (Rumi), and the place Konya. Most probably I'll visit this place.

One of my first connection with Turkey appeared in the image of a Turkish collegue of mine whom we became friends in an extremely short time. When he left Hungary, he gave me a present, a book of selected works from Rumi. Even if it was in English, it is now in quite a bad condition as I was reading it so many times. Through the translation I'm sure we miss some parts, but still it can go so deep that sometimes reading one poem just makes my day perfect. I'm sure will carry this book on the ride.

Let me copy here one poem where the bookmark was, when I just walked to the bookshelf, grabbed and opened it:

THE GUEST HOUSE

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

-- Jelaluddin Rumi,
    translation by Coleman Barks


Definately, this book will be a lovely company on the way.

No comments: